Monday, August 19, 2013
THE CYBER ADDICTION RECOVERY CENTER
CHRISTOPHER MULLIGAN LCSW
11140 Washington Blvd. Culver City, CA 90232
1) Limit recreational technology use (screen time) to two hours per day.
2) As a family, spend one hour per day, one day per week, and four days per month completely “unplugged” from all forms of technology.
3) Institute a “tech curfew:” no recreational use of technology after 9:00pm.
4) Keep all forms of technology out of bedrooms at all times.
5) Turn off smart phones at 10:00pm for teens (no texting, surfing, etc.)
6) Collect all tech gadgets after curfew and have them “sleep” in the parent’s bedroom (plug in to a communal power bar).
7) Take family “field trips” at least once per week (parks, food, beach, museum, hiking, movies).
8) Exercise as a family: biking, hiking, swimming, treadmill, sports, boogie boarding, bowling).
9) Do not have conversations or meals with any tech devise in hand (eyes “up” and focused on your conversation partner).
10) Structure your “tech” day: set specific times for emailing, Facebook, chat rooms, eBay, research, etc.