Thursday, December 9, 2010
Helping Teens With Cyber Addiction
Signs of Electronic Entertainment Addiction
1. Does your child/teen dedicate the vast majority (or all) of his recreational time to electronic entertainment? Are his grades and health suffering?
2. Does your child/teen spend multiple hours per day texting, tweeting, and/or posting on Facebook?
3. Does your child/teen organize his schedule around specific television shows and/or internet events?
4. Does your child/teen refuse to leave the house because of his preoccupation with a video game, posting on Facebook, surfing the net?
5. Does your child/teen talk compulsively about electronic entertainment, including monologues about the minute details of a video game?
6. Does your child/teen shun any type of physical recreation in favor of sitting in front of a computer or television monitor?
7. Does your child/teen argue and complain whenever he is asked to turn off a video game system or the computer?
8. Does your child/teen say he has friends at school, but spends every weekend alone, playing video games, surfing the internet, Facebooking?
9. Does your child/teen complain that all activities are boring and useless, except for electronic entertainment?
10. Does your child/teen confuse internet acquaintances with true friends?
11. Does your child/teen lack any reasonable awareness of the amount of time he spends on electronic entertainment?
12. Is you child/teen losing interest in school? Are grades slipping? Is your child becoming increasingly isolated?
Goals of group